Friday, December 14, 2012

A Different Day At The Beach


It was a day that seemed sort of upside down. The skies were clear after weeks of rain, despite a weather forecast calling for a 90 percent of rain. I was optimistic, something a little different for me lately as I spend my nights in isolation. I was missing the New York City sports scene and my favorite sports radio broadcaster was on the air. Suddenly he stopped talking about the Knicks and the Jets and told us there was something awful going on in Connecticut.

It was the shooting at a school where some disturbed person first killed his mother at home and then went to her school to massacre her students.

And so, instead of taking advantage of the sunshine, I spent the morning listening to the events as they unfolded. I finally shut off the newscast and decided I needed to clear my head. I went across the street to the state park and visited Shipwreck Beach, one of the best-known Oregon state landmarks where there is a wreck of a 1900s-era steamship on the beach. Yet the beach was very different from the summertime.

I knew there would not be many people, and there weren’t. But this wasn’t the beach I had enjoyed either. The month of nearly nonstop rains had turned the sand into a tough grey clay-like dune and footing was quite easy.

 The tide was going out and the beach was filled with the remains of huge ocean vegetation, some as long as 50 feet. There were tube-like roots at the bottom and eventually leaves at the top. It was all over the place.



As usual, there was a lot of driftwood, some of it clearly originating from some sort of man-made function. I found it very appealing and took many photos. Yet no matter how I tried, I couldn’t seem to get my mind off the deaths of so many innocents.


I remember teaching in the South Bronx where I had to deal with some insane parents more than once. One time, a man came in and began yelling and threatening his nephew. I got the principal and it turned out he was carrying a gun and he was arrested. I thought about my granddaughter who is in a day care center, and about my friend’s granddaughter, who is in kindergarten.

I went to the park’s lake. There was little breeze and the reflections in the water of the trees gave me a measure of peace. I took a few photos and one of them was incredible in terms of composition and color. But it included a dead and broken tree and my thoughts again turned to Newtown. 


I was near the museum area where I volunteered last August. I thought I would visit the rose garden. But it is December and there were no roses in bloom and the branches were neatly trimmed. On the way out, I stopped at a small store I went to last July. They had wonderful servings of Tillamook ice cream. The freezer was covered and no one was in the store. I saw a man in the garage next to the building and I asked him if he worked there. He didn’t, but his daughter owned the store. She was back in the area when I re-entered and she served me a dish of cherry vanilla. It is nearly as good as the cherry vanilla the east coast Caravel stores served. It is the favorite of both the ex and myself. And it again brought up the murders.

I took my ice and went a few blocks to Warrenton Harbor where I had a nice view of the Columbia River. To my right was the town of Astoria and its bridge-linking Oregon to Washington’s Pacific beaches. On the right were the remains of a dock where sea mines were loaded and dragged across the mouth of the river during both the first and second world wars.

I listened to Francesca’s former radio partner, Christopher Russo. He also did not want to discuss sports. Russo, whose nickname is “Mad Dog” based on his attacks on various sports figures since the 1980, was in attack mode on the gun lobby. Later, I learned that the weapons and ammo used in the attack were stolen from the killer’s murdered mother. What the hell a kindergarten teacher in a bucolic New England village needed with them anyhow?

This is the second time this week that stolen weapons were used to kill innocent people. Here in Oregon, another young man went on a rampage killing holiday shoppers. It was fortunate that the weapon jammed and people were able to escape. The fact is, I’ve been in that mall a couple of times. And I have not doubt my son and his family, and even the ex, has been there. But it could have been just about any mall, anywhere.

I got back to the trailer in time to hear the president. He was fighting back the tears. This was clearly not “presidential.” It was about a man who had kids who could have been the victims. I don’t care what your fuckin’ politics are. The man gets it. And we should be grateful he occupies the White House. He spoke – with eloquence – the words our nation needed to hear expressed.

Not that it means a damn thing to anyone, but I had to write about it and post it on my blog. It won’t comfort anyone, and certainly won’t stop the insanity, as troubled minds need to continue the Columbine syndrome. But felt I needed to write about it or I would be unable to personally let go of it. And the slaughter of the innocents continues. When will we ever learn?