Saturday, November 2, 2013

Wild, Wonderful and ?


Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2013

 Follow the yellow brick GPS?

I started the day in Winchester, Virginia. My campground was about 400 yards from Interstate-81, so naturally I figured I would take this main road south, eventually merging into a westbound Interstate highway that would lead me to Campbellsville, Kentucky, my destination.

The GPS had other ideas, and so I headed westbound on a local highway. The West Virginia border was only about ten miles away and I figured: “OK, I’ll take a few state highways.”

Six hours later I finally reached an Interstate. Route 79, I think. And I had travelled about 175 miles over backwoods country roads, mostly along State Route 50, which was usually a two-lane road. And I guess I had a lesson about just how wild West Virginia is.

I’m near Charlestown, the state capital, spending the night at a truck stop as I write this. Hopefully the trucks that are spending the night with me will be on their way before I wake up. Getting lost in the parking lot, I discovered I had moved into a parking spot, only in the wrong direction and will have to back out in the morning.

But though I’ve met only a couple of West Virginians, I’ve had quite an education about a land we think of as hillbilly territory.

As a child, I watched a CBS report on poverty in this area. It spurred a lot of social programs under President Lyndon Johnson. Yet I cannot comprehend if there have been any real improvement over the more than 40-year span since Johnson’s “War on Poverty” was enacted.

As I drove through these wild roads, it was clear that there were many abandoned homes and farms throughout the area. Time after time, I wanted to stop and photograph these dilapidated buildings, but the roads had no shoulders and I was towing a trailer. It was also raining and frequently the clouds reached down to these mountain roads, creating a dense and scary fog. It reminded me of the first day I was on the road with a trailer back in March of 2011 as I drove along I-84 in Pennsylvania. The mountain snows were melting, creating a dense fog and making me unable to see more than a few feet in front of me. I was too terrified to try to pull off because I couldn’t see the shoulder either.

Fortunately, both times, I eventually came out of the fog. At one point, I did find a turn-off in the mountains. It was at the entrance to a coal mine and there were warning signs about blasting with dynamite.

At one point, there was a truck about three vehicles in front of me that seemed determined to go about 15 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit. I’m sure it made the drivers behind him go crazy but it was quite welcome to me. I was on strange roads and difficult weather and in no particular hurry.

Somewhere along Route 50, I went through a small town that had a McDonald’s restaurant in it. It was just about the only fast-food joint along the entire route. And I suppose it featured some downright friendly women too. As I made my order, I was addressed as “Darlin,” “Hon,” “Sweetie” and “Suga,” which I wasn’t quite used to hearing. I also couldn’t understand much of what the women were saying to me. Their accent was strange. I apologized for not understanding, telling them I was a dumb-ass New Yorker and not too bright.

As I continued my journey, I began climbing up into the mountains. Occasionally, the state added a “Truck Land” for people like me to pull over and let those following me pass. This was a good thing because without shoulders, it was the only time they could.

This went on for many miles as I watched my miles per gallon indicator drop from 12 to about 8 miles per hour. You may not think that makes much difference, but think about how you would react if you suddenly lost 1/3rd of your mileage.

As I reached the top of Allegheny Mountain, elevation 2,850 feet, I also passed into a small area of buildings and found a place to pull over for a while. I was very tired. Even though I was only about 80 miles into the journey, it had taken me nearly four hours and darkness was clearly going to come soon.

As I continued, I passed mountaintop wind farms, and drove through Mongahelia National Forest and civilization became very rare. But finally I reached a state highway that had four lanes and eventually reached the Interstate where I finally was able to pick up gas. I was down to ¼ tank from hauling the trailer over the mountain and wasn’t sure when I would be able to gas up.

And so I drove towards Charleston, the state’s capital. I stopped at a rest stop for a nap and looked at the “you are here” part of the map. It seemed after all that driving, I had barely moved.

But I am a better nighttime driver anyhow as there is less traffic to distract and, especially heading in a west-bound direction, significantly less glare. At twilight, I passed by Annie Oakley Road and was reminded of a rip roaring tale a woman once told me about a shootout her mother had with local hunters. A couple of days later I mailed her a note telling her about my trip and was given a warm response. We hadn’t talked to one another in several years.

About 3 a.m., I found the truck stop, walked Pup and finally fell asleep, exhausted.

Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2013

The next morning, the weather remained about the same with lots of clouds and rain. But the daylight along the Interstate brought some beautiful foliage and I enjoyed it thoroughly, taking just one picture through my car windshield to prove I had been there.

And suddenly, I had crossed the Ohio River and my West Virginal explorations were over. I was both relieved and unhappy. I had just gone through some of the most incredible scenery I’ve ever seen, and never took a picture.

A few miles into Kentucky, I stopped at the welcome center rest stop and walked the dog. I was exhausted and fell asleep for a few hours before moving on. But craziness continued to follow me. Insects swarmed the truck while I slept. Would you believe they were ladybugs? Perhaps it had something to do with the fact it was Halloween, but the darn things were tenacious in holding on even as I was flying along the interstate at 60 miles per hour.