Thursday, January 16, 2014

Bureaucracy Strikes Again, And Again


Since I was in second grade and taking instructions for my first communion, I began to suspect the unpardonable sin they talked about was bureaucracy. Of course, I have now lost all suspicions and take it for gospel.

Those who know me and read this and my website know that I have had some troubles with my trailer since arriving in Georgia. First, the unit got trapped in about two feet of soft southern mud and had to be towed out. Then, rattled by the incident, I swiped the utility stand as I pulled into my campsite, doing some minor damage to the trailer.

I did not realize at the time that towing the rig out of the mud had furthered some water damage to the floor. It is now sagging and I worry about it collapsing. I learned the floor is made out of particleboard instead of plywood.  Why? I haven’t a clue. Particleboard warps far more quickly. The trailer is supposed to be “ultralite” and particleboard is also much heavier than plywood.

Top, the path where my trailer got stuck in the mud. Bottom, damage to the front storage door. 


Geico, my insurance company, sent an adjustor out to review the damage. And of course the water damage is not covered. The adjustor offered me about $3,000 to have the damage repaired. His estimate for parts, however, was less than $200. I made a decision to have him send the check to the bank to pay down the loan and I would do the repairs myself, which have been mostly done.

In the meantime, I went to a local RV dealer to order replacement parts. I spotted a used trailer that was far superior, though eight years older, to my present home.  He visited my campsite and said he would take my current unit and $3,500 for the one he had.

Now that was earlier this week. I had been in contact with my bank since December 30 trying to discuss my options. We stopped talking when a blizzard hit Long Island and I hadn’t heard from them since. I have been leaving messages all week, even e-mailing the department manager, without getting my calls returned.

In the meantime, Geico did not yet send the bank the check. I called the adjustor and he told me I would have to call Geico. After talking to five different people at Geico, they transferred me to the adjustor’s office. And, of course, I got a voice mail instead of a human. I was rather vexed and after some screaming, I got a call back the next day and eventually the check was sent to the bank as of today.

In the meantime, I reached the bank and talked to someone who was not handling my application. In essence, the deal was they would probably approve the loan, pending receipt of the check from Geico.

And today, I went to pick up the final part for repair and to make a deposit on the unit. The RV dealer called and said the part was ready around 10 a.m. I was at the dentist and told them I would be there after my workout at the Y, around 3 p.m.

I went into the dealer and said, “ What paperwork do I need for the bank to buy the trailer?” And I learned it was sold only a couple of hours before.

And so, because the insurance company didn’t send the check on time and the person handling the application didn’t return my calls, I lost the trailer.

Naturally, I am pissed. And I intend to read the riot act to the bank tomorrow.

But the fact is, I put the trailer issue in God’s hands the night before. About a quarter century ago, I was trying to get back to college but hadn’t enough money. A woman in a 12-step program told me “if it was meant to be, it will happen.” And since then, when I’ve become rather resigned to that philosophy when things tend to drive me crazy. In letting go, I also let go of a few concerns about the trailer I wanted to buy. The main issue was it was a 2003 model. Things like water heaters are destined to break down. And while the trailer had far more living space, it had less storage space. So it wasn’t meant to be.

In the meantime, the bank will tell me next week how much I can be financed on an RV after they get the check. Perhaps something better is in the future, or nothing at all? Maybe it’s time to get off the road and settle down?

But bureaucracy is still the unpardonable sin.