Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Vagabond Christmas


It’s Christmastime in the Trailer

I happened to mention on Facebook that I was spending Black Friday decorating and I said I had to enter the den of Satan (the local Wal-Mart), because I discovered both my decorative and tree built-in lights were dead. I realized that both of these were purchased in 2010 and were probably due for a burial anyhow. And since lights and trees were 30 percent off until noon, I went over at 11:30 and picked them up. The store was fairly quiet except in the electronics department and I had no problem checking out.


After morning madness at the local Wal-Mart, I was able to get 30 percent off  on my new tree and lights by arriving about a half hour before the sale time ended. I also picked up a new doorbuster digital camera at about half price.

Some of my Facebook friends asked me to put some photos up on decorating a trailer and so I am posting this blog.

Now the first thing you need to know about living in a travel trailer is that it is not unlike a small apartment. The main area includes a kitchen, kitchen table and couch, not to mention amenities such as a television and DVD player. And the bedroom is a closed off area which, of course, contains a full-size bed (it can also fit a queen-size mattress) and lots of closet space for clothing. You can lift the platform for storage space, which includes the decorations I’ve had for years.

Oh Christmas tree, how lovely are thy branches:

My trailer contains what is called a “side.” That’s a motorized extension that slides out from the trailer that permits more floor space. Sides can run from two-to-ten feet. Some larger units have them on both sides and create a living area greater than many living rooms in houses. I neither need such space, nor can I afford it. And even if I could, the cost of towing such a unit would be about six miles per gallon. It’s wonderful if you want to live somewhere permanently, but is not really suited for a nomad such as myself.

Putting a tree on the floor would not be pragmatic as there would be no way to get past it. My open floor is five feet wide and no matter where a tree would be placed, it would block traffic. And I am too old to have it stop me from going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. So a tabletop tree is necessary. I have always like the fiber optic lights on such a tree from the first time I saw one in the 1970s. You only need to change one light bulb and a rotating filter enables constantly changing colors. When I saw a 32” high one for about $20, I was sold. It now sits on my kitchen table using ornaments I purchased for the tree I bought in 2010 as well as some lasting back to my childhood. Yet I still have about 2/3rds of the table left for dining, tv watching and working on my laptop.

Top: 32-inch tabletop tree fits conveniently on the table.  Lights around the picture frame enhance the setting. Bottom: A color wheel at the base of the fiber optic tree results in constant light color changes.



Surrounding the window frame is a set of lights, which sets off the tree quite nicely.

Deck the Halls with boughs of Holly!

Sorry, but Holly was not an option, but I do string lights along the wall on the other side of the living area. The last time, I had lights inserted in an artificial pine bough. This time I mixed the lights with a garland instead. While the lights are nice, it is the place I hang the larger ornaments. There are a number of memories in these ornaments. There are a couple of very lovely glass ornaments more than sixty years old dating back to my childhood before my parents separated. There are also some very cheap plastic ones purchased in 1957. They were bought during hard times and no matter how lousy they look, especially as the angel hair inside them has become messed up, I refuse to part with them. That time was the blackest point of my childhood, and probably my life, and they symbolize that there can be joy even in the worst of times. Every year as I open the ornaments from their storage bin, I reflect on both these times. There are good memories in them.

Ornaments that have a strong sentimental value are hung from a light string and garland along the shelf area. In the foreground, a holiday-theme throw covers my couch. It was a gift last Christmas from the daughter of a friend. Holiday towels and hot mitts also hang by the kitchen area.

Also hanging there are a few newer ornaments that were given to me after my marriage fell apart in 2010. I am especially fond of one that says “first Christmas in a new home.” It was given to me by someone I love very much and stirs memories of us that warm me even on the coldest days. Thank you for that gift, and the many others you have given me, Emily. I sometimes become quite depressed during this time of year. Along with being alone during the holidays, the short, cold and dark days can be quite painful. These reminders lift my spirits.

During the Christmases since the breakup, I have spent several of them with my friends, Frank and Gina. I am in Oregon and they in North Carolina. As I write this, they enjoy a sunny 73º day, while I am enduring a sleeting 33º day with a night of sub-freezing weather that will turn the wet roads to ice.  Yet I still love them. Last year, their daughter gave me a Christmas-themed throw blanket that I have placed on the couch. Thanks Nickki.

And Momma in her kerchief, and I in my cap, had just settled down for a long winter’s nap.

I have two Santa hats, a normal one and one that says “Bah, Humbug” on it. Those who know me know that I have a full, white beard that I grow every Christmas season just to have fun with people. But they are soft and keep my bald head warm at night. Because I have to open the closets constantly, electric lights are not an option. But I do have a garland and, inspired by Nickki’s blanket, I purchased a second one, a lovely snowman, for the bed.

A snowman throw covers the bed while garland hangs from the cabinets.

In addition, I have my fireplace, a heater, and a DVD that plays music from “The Nutcracker” to a burning fire. Some of my favorite memories are Christmas in a home with a fireplace. And New York’s WPIX Christmas Eve programming played holiday music with a fire from Gracie Mansion’s fireplace (home of the New York City mayor). Perhaps the most joyous fireside moment was five years ago as I held my newly-born granddaughter by my son’s fireplace in suburban Portland, Oregon.
My electric heater features a fireplace. It is very similar to a real fireplace I had when I was a child. My campsite includes free electric and I use it instead of the gas heat the trailer has. Purchased this year, it is effective to about 20º and in bitter cold, I use both systems.

My electric heater/fireplace has kept me warm in weather well below freezing.  

Fireplace and campfires have a way of warming you twice. The first time is the warmth of the actual fire and the second is the warmth of the memories. And if the weather is right, I have a new outdoor fire pit for more good nights. Sometimes I have it with company, and my granddaughter always wants one for smores. Other times, I have Pup, my corgi, who is a wonderful companion.


Top: Holiday lights greet the few visitors I have as the park is closed for construction. My main function is as a caretaker and I keep an eye on the day use area across the street. Bottom: The view from outside my picture window at night. 

Outdoors I have blue and white rope lights running along the ground and I have placed a set of lights that alternate in red and green around the camp host sign I have at my campsite. I am at 3500 feet above sea level and near ski country. Chances are pretty fair I’ll have a white Christmas. I will be keeping a sharp eye on the weather and hitch up if there is any chance of snow.

And so I am ready for the holiday season. Despite being completely alone in this campground (it is under reconstruction and I am here as a caretaker) I have made some friends here and I hope they will come by for a visit. I’m also planning a hot-chocolate and muffins morning for the construction workers who sort of watch over me.

“Christmas” will be sometime around New Year’s Day when I will be back near Portland for my next assignment and see my granddaughter again.It’s Christmastime in the Trailer