Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Crossroad

As most of the people who know me are aware, I live in a travel trailer and — in between cross country journeys — justify my existence by volunteering in state and national parks. They are rent free and I do not pay for utilities.

At the moment, I have no assignment for May and June, a tough gig to get, and I stumbled into a situation that sounds rather attractive. It is at a county park in Columbia County Oregon. Compensation includes a free single-wide home and $150 a week for 15 hours. I have been offered the position through the end of October, but have discovered the spot can also be for a year round host. I've been offered the gig at least through the end of October.

On the plus side, I would be able to give up the vagabond lifestyle for a while. I've generally lived in a tent or a trailer since 2010, though I did lease an apartment for about 15 months, though I mainly used it between November and January before heading south to a warmer clime.

I would probably not need the trailer any more, but would have to keep it anyhow if for some reason I was terminated.

Being in one place means not having to travel to another location. The last move I did cost me about $200 in gas and other travel expenses. It costs at least $2500 to move to the other coast, which is the reason I have done seasonal work in the midwest for the past two years. And frankly, I don't think I can keep up with the 40-hour work weeks any more.

On the negative side is location, location and location. Just look at the map:

This map is about 20 miles wide. There are few signs of civilization. It is in the heart of Oregon Logging country in the Coastal Mountain range. The bare spots you see are generally areas that have been logged and there is no sign of reforestation. 

But the major problem is that there is no cell service for fifteen miles in any direction. I've been in isolated areas over the past two years, but there were towns nearby. And I've always had service. I bought a smart phone with great reluctance last year because I needed a hot spot for my internet. I'm about 25 miles from a McDonalds or Wal-Mart, my personal requirements for calling an area "civilized." So food is something that needs to be shopped for and cooked. I'm at a point where I don't enjoy cooking anymore, especially for myself. I am no longer fond of canned or frozen meals. I often go for fast food, or food from a deli department.

It's also about 68 miles — about 90 minutes from my son and his family. And while that is certainly better than being 3,000 miles away, it is a tough trip over two-land winding and sometimes steep roads. And it's a continent away from many people I love and care about.  The idea of a nighttime drive home for either of us in unattractive, though it would be much better as the days become longer. 

And it's unfurnished. While I'm not ready to go dumpster diving, I'm not able to afford much furniture without going broke.  I don't feel secure enough to sell the trailer to furnish this place and I certainly need a truck, rather than a car, in this territory.

And so I contemplate it. I'm tired of being a vagabond and a free house is awsome. Living in the middle of nowhere is not. 

And so I ask you, what are your feelings about this?