Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Yogi

Sometime around 1957, I was in the fourth grade. And on Channel 11 (WPIX in New York) there was a Yankee baseball game on nearly every day or night. The announcers were Mel Allen, Red Barber and a young upstart named Phil Rizzuto.

Yogi Berra was the catcher, but with Ellie Howard, a fellow resident of the Yankees famous Monument Park, backing him up, Yogi often wound up playing the outfield as well, giving his legs a rest.

I remember one week where Yogi was especially hot. For three nights in a row, he went up to the plate while the Bombers were losing and jacked a home run on a pitch way off the plate to ensure the win. From then on, except for a few short seasons when Roger Maris arrived, Yogi was “my” man.

But despite winning three MVPs and being on 10 World Series champions, he never was the “Star” player. That was the role of DiMaggio, Mantle and Ford. But unlike so many egomaniacs, Yogi seemed to fit right in. Despite dropping out of the 8th grade, he was smart enough to manage both the Yankees (twice) and the Mets. He also coached on other clubs, finally giving in to father time and simply becoming a spring training fixture.

During his second turn as the Yanks manager, I was furious at then Yankee owner George Steinbrenner. I never went to Yankee Stadium again until George and Yogi patched things up. I took my sons and nephews to Shea to watch the Mets instead.

In other words, I really liked the guy. And he taught me a very valuable lesson. While managing a moribund Mets team in the middle of the 1973 season, he was quoted as saying “it ain’t over ‘till it’s over.” The Mets won the eastern division with a record of just 82-79 but then beat the Reds’ powerful “big red machine” before losing the World Series in seven games to the Oakland A’s, whose roster included folks like Reggie Jackson and Mark McGuire.  He was also a coach on the 1969 “Miracle Mets.” The Yankees were winners, and Yogi helped turned the Mets into that. And so my life has been one of hanging in there and keeping on.

Now if you’re under 60, chances are this means little to you. But as I was listening to sports radio today, Yogi was being hailed as part of the Yankees “Mount Rushmore,” right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, Mickey and Joe D. It was deserved.

But Yogi hasn’t really left us. He simply went to be with his wife, Carmen, whom he married in 1949. She died in 2014 and I suppose Yogi was just too lonely without her.


I haven’t even begun to express my sorrow or the way I feel about Yogi’s death today. But he was simply a part of my life since I was able to hold a baseball and I will miss him. A long-delayed pilgrimage to his museum in nearby Montclair, NJ is in order.