Saturday, December 26, 2015

A Christmas Card Carol

Ah look at all the lonely people.


I sent out my Christmas cards, late, so they arrived today (Dec. 26). I received a Facebook note from one of the people on my mailing list discussing how her kids were away and that this Christmas was unusual for her. Alone, she said she hadn't gotten any cards and hadn't sent any. She surmised that Facebook greetings had replaced them.

The note ended: "And thank you so much for the card. Receiving it actually brought tears to my eyes that someone remembered me."

It reminded me of another occasion a few years ago. The former Mrs. Munzer and I were in the middle of a bitter divorce. I sent her a brief e-mail that said something like "For what it's worth, happy birthday." I received a very emotional response because I was the only one who acknowledged her day. The next day others did, though I had little to do with that.

But it got me to thinking about other times. I've had those days too. Last year, I was alone in the Cascade Mountains and was snowbound. I was volunteering as a "presence" at a state park. It was closed for construction and I was basically serving as someone who could tell people the park was closed and as a discouragement to potential thieves of the heavy equipment that was on the grounds.
With poor cell service, I got a voice mail from my son, but little other contact with the world.

This year was entirely different. I drove my companion to Western Massachusetts where we met up with two of her daughters, one boyfriend and one grandson. We went to the boyfriend's family home where we had wonderful food, better company and more at a farmhouse. The 66-degree weather and eating at a picnic table was quite a surprise for everyone. And the 200 mile drives back and forth were good times for my companion and I to spend time talking beyond the usual daily business discussions.

And so the words of Eleanor Rigby, a Beatles' song, came to mind.

Eleanor Rigby, picks up the rice In the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream Waits at the window, wearing the face That she keeps in a jar by the door Who is it for?

I went to a midnight service on Christmas Eve and there were a few single, mostly elderly people. I thought how they simply wanted to be near people on Christmas Eve. During the service, the sign of peace was offered and people seemed to gravitate to those who were alone. Except for one person.


Father McKenzie, writing the words Of a sermon that no one will hear No one comes near Look at him working, darning his socks In the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

The one person who wasn't involved in the sign of peace was the minister. Confined to a wheelchair, I noticed that he remained by himself at the alter. No one had come to him. I started to go to him, but my friend told me that everyone would shake his hand after the service. And the exchange of greetings was just about over. You can bet tomorrow morning, I'll be the one to go over to him. 

Eleanor Rigby, died in the church And was buried along with her name Nobody came
Father McKenzie, wiping the dirt From his hands as he walks from the grave No one was saved


I was blessed to give someone some Christmas joy, And during this Christmas season, let's remember the ones Jesus associated with. They were the outcasts, and the lonely. Those who were desperate came to Him and were comforted.

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

I am reminded of another song. It's called "Do Something Now" by the Cause, a group of popular Christian music artists who put out the song as a fundraiser for Compassion International in 1985 to aid African starvation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IehAFd7N2Ok.

The song compares life in starving Ethiopia with life in our Utopia. And it notes we are God's hands and it is up to us to Do Something Now.

That song, 20 years later, still resonates because we are used by God, even when we feel we are at our worst, to help others. Neil Diamond's "Brother Love" preacher said we have one hand while we are in need to reach out to God, because that's what He's there for; and lift the other hand to our brothers because that's what we're there for.

And so I challenge every one who reads this to look for and reach out to someone who is lonely and hurting. And remember, It's not too late to send Cristmas Cards.

Psalm 37, Verse 3: "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. 


* * *
Those who read my blog regularly may be confused. I frequently attack religion and the Christians. I want people to know that, despite many doubts, I still believe in the good news of Jesus. BUT I am very angry at how fundamentalists, especially the people of the book, have turned their views into ways to control others. It is simply hate in a religious environment that calls for love.