Sunday, August 21, 2016

Five Guys

I grew up in the years when McDonalds was starting out. One day, the director of the farm for boys where I lived said we were going out to dinner, the only time we ever did. He gave us each a buck and told us if we really wanted to pig out, to bring another one.

And so we took the school bus to one of the first McDonalds in New Jersey and we did, pig out that is. Burgers were 19 cents, so were fries. A large soft drink was about a quarter and milkshakes were 39 cents.

Of course, I became addicted to McDonalds and have about an extra 50 pounds on my body to prove it.

I’ve tried Wendy’s and Burger King. But they just didn’t measure up in those days and Mickey D’s has been my preference  -- especially when I’m on the road.

In fact, as I write this, the prom date and I are on the road in Ohio and the Mickey D breakfast menu is just about the only one designed for a take out breakfast. We drove 11+ hours the day before and so I picked up a couple of orders of oatmeal and we split a big breakfast. But McDonalds is rarely a place I go to for burgers anymore. Now it’s Five Guys.

Although one of the smaller burger chains, it’s clearly the best. The prom date was sick today and she spent much of her time in bed. So at dinnertime, it was clearly Five Guys and when I came back with the plain brown bag containing our burgers and fries, she was well pleased.

I first discovered Five Guys somewhere around Milwaukie, Oregon, where my son and his family live. I was on the way home and a little hungry and so I stopped and ordered a large fries. The cost was a little high, until I was handed a bag containing a 20-ounce cup of fries and they took two extra scoops and put that into a brown bag.

Now that’s a lot of fries. The serving will easily feed four adults. But the thing was, they were fresh. I mean these fries had never seen a freezer. On the floor were cartons of raw potatoes with a sign saying where the spuds were grown. Five guys employees run the potatoes through a French fry cutter. They don’t peel them so a lot of the fries have skin on them, which not only make them taste better, but the skin provides better nutrition.

Everything is fried in peanut oil, which is also less greasy and healthier too since it has no cholostrol. Now I’m not saying that fried foods are good for us, just that these fries are better than the ones you get out of a freezer at a fast food joint.

But it is now time to discuss the burgers. A burger is two third-pound patties, which have been freshly ground and hand shaped. The place does not have a freezer. You can also get a “junior” burger with one patty for about a dollar less. There’s an old advertising jingle for McDonald’s Big Mac – “two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.” But if you order a Big Mac, that’s what you get. With Five Guys, you choose your toppings ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, barb-b-que, hot sauce and A-1 sauce are the condiments, then the veggies include lettuce, tomato, green and jalapeƱo peppers, pickles, onions (raw or grilled), and mushrooms (again raw or grilled).
 
You can order whatever you want and if you want extra onions or mushrooms, for example, they’re all your’s  -- all included with the burger. And because the burgers are cooked fresh, they come out tender and juicy. Ever looked in the back kitchen at McDonald’s? They cook burgers in bunches and put them in heating bins. It just isn’t the same. Most fast food places also season their burgers. Five Guys has salt and pepper packages if you want the spice.

They also sell hot dogs; also with the condiments you want and grilled cheese, a veggie special grilled cheese and a BLT. Bacon on the burgers and dogs cost extra.

As for drinks, they also have home-spun shakes with about ten different flavors. I sometimes will have a cherry-strawberry-banana shake. But more often I will have a soft drink chosen from the more than 100 varieties from Coke’s advanced dispenser system. For example, Sprite Zero can be poured into your cup with lemon, cherry, orange and other flavors. Today I had a vanilla diet root beer.

Since everything is cooked to order, you have to sit around and they offer free peanuts in the shell while you wait.

I usually take out my meal, but there is a dining room. It’s nothing fancy, but there are plenty of seats and stools.


All I can say about this is that in more than seven years of blogging, I’ve never endorsed a place to eat (though I did once mention a great Florida juice stand). Simply put, check it out and you’ll find that instead of a ‘happy meal,’ you will find yourself quite happy with your meal.