Thursday, December 8, 2016

From here???

It has come to my attention that while Trump won the election, Hillary will win the popular vote. It's happened five times before -- beginning with Andrew Jackson, and until this election, the Al Gore defeat. But the political differences have never been so dramatic until now.

That, of course, leads us to why we need — or don't need — the electoral college. People scream that the election should not be decided by 538 people. It isn't really. Each of the electors, people assigned by the candidates to represent them, generally reflect the choices made by voters in their state. It was proposed by Alexander Hamilton and opposed by James Madison. 

But that's history, as this election will shortly be. And while Hillary supporters hope that some rogue Trump supports will vote for Hillary, Trump has just too many electors for a few to make any difference.


And so we have a president elect who is loud-mouthed, addicted to Twitter, without experience and is appointing cabinet members who, in the minds of many, are completely opposed to the status quo. You can't have much public housing when the Secretary opposes it. The EPA has someone who is decidedly anti-EPA, and so it goes. 


What is going to happen will be far more than the end of Obamacare. It will be a cultural sea change, perhaps a violent one. Many aspects of our social agenda will be completely changed. Programs from the Lyndon Johnson era may disappear. What would our society be like without head start? 


We will see an even greater polarization of racial lines which, I suspect, will lead to increased violence. There will be many anti-poverty campaigns. But here's the problem: Johnson's Great Society programs weren't aimed at the Black population. Its primary focus was on rural Appalachia and similar places of intense poverty. And if you travel across rural West Virginia, for example, you encounter countless abandoned and crumbling housing owned by whites. 


Once, places such as rural Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Western New York grew as huge corporations ripped natural resources such as iron, coal and even oil from the ground. We've pretty much stopped using coal, especially to heat our homes. the amount of iron our steel mills use has been reduced considerably through recycling. And mills are closing due to competition from Asia and cheap and inferior steel products flood our markets. And with them, tens of thousands of good union jobs. I am a baby boomer. And I grew up in an era where it was assumed I would be better off than my parents. And for much of my life I was until the great recession put me permanently out of work and my marriage ended. . But if you ask young people today, they are not expecting that the "American Dream" is their birthright.


There is going to be a huge economic upheaval. One of my sons works for a human service organization treating developmentally disabled adults. I wonder if it will be funded? I certainly can see much legal action as programs are cut and a conservative Supreme Court upholding the cuts. They will have to rule not on the Constitutional issues, but on the issue of if the government has the right to not provide social services. It has already been ruled that social services themselves are Constitutional, but does that mean they have to continue to exist?


It is a scary prospect. I am glad that I have Social Security, a dependable source of income. I don't envision even a conservative court disbanding it. But the fact is, it is possible that the amount of my monthly payments could be reduced. I can envision people like myself flooding bankruptcy courts.