Friday, September 27, 2019

Ancient Hippie Fest

You don’t need to get stoned to be mellow.

A bunch of very aging hippies gathered last night at the community theater in Morristown, NJ. I worked there as an usher more than 50 years ago, but 20 or so years ago, it became a center for performing arts. 

About once or twice a year, we go there to see a show. We went to a traveling performance of “Momma Mia” and a lecture by Dr. Oz. But last night was something special: a return to the early 1960s when folk music was at its peak. The Kingston Trio, The Limelighters and The Brothers Four all were sharing a concert. 

Now for those of you who are not experiencing your 70s or 80s in birthdays, you have to understand that folk music was unlike the hard rock that is mostly associated during that decade. The music was completely acoustic. Guitars, banjos, acoustic bass and even ukes and bongos were a part of the scene. Some of the songs were legendary from the depression. But many more were commentary from the era. 

At one point, the Kingston Trio were the Number One act in the world. And the Limelighters and Brothers Four could easily fill an arena. There were others like Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, and the Chad Mitchell Trio. All except Dylan were known for magnificent harmony. And the songs were all easy to remember.

Almost immediately, we were in a geezer sing-a-long. Nearly all the songs were old friends. One song, which started a medley was “Yellow Bird.” It was a minor song then but the words immediately came to mind and they were so sweet. In high school, on my first day in choir, I had never had any musical training where I had to sing. The teacher tested me and put me in the first bass section. She kept me after class and asked if I had any music training at all. I told her no. She said men were bass, baritone and tenor. But I was a monotone. But she knew I did have a talent. I could mimic and she put me next to the best bass when we gave a concert and I was passable. 

Suddenly, after more than 50 years, I was once again able to mimic and my oft horribly awesome voice blended in just fine. 

After nearly three hours, I was way, way more relaxed and mellow. I honestly couldn’t remember how long it was that I felt this good. It was ‘groovy.”


For that night, the pains of age left me,. The worries of being broke disappeared and the anxiety of relationships took the night off. Faaaaar out!